Wednesday, November 28, 2012

As the seasons change



For the first time in my life I get to see the seasons change. Who knew a girl from California would appreciate the freezing cold, warm and fucken humid.  I have watched the leaves turn orange and fall crisply to the ground and I basque in the bone chill that allows me to wear my favorite boots and sweaters.  

Orange October. How I do miss being in San Francisco on the Embarcadero while the Giants play, feeling the city's energy and excitement. How all the buildings light up in orange to show love for a team that, before 2010, hadn't seen the Commissioners Trophy since 1954. Torture. I still remember exactly what I was doing downtown San Francisco during the 2010 'Ships...it still feels like it was just yesterday. This year, I was able to create different memories in a different country for the same team. Struggling to stay awake for the games that begin at 2am or waking up at 4am just to catch the last innings to watch them go 4 in a row with the birds. Going home early on a Saturday night because the man knows how important it is to me to see history recreate itself. Watching him sweat to find a streaming website, all the while lame ass Fox sports doesn't allow it so we resort to KNBR and watching the highlights in the morning. Now for the second time in 3 years we have once again claimed the top spot, 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS. What I would give to be at that parade and lay out on the grass of civic center to listen to the speeches of Larry Baer, Bruce Bochy and Pablo Sandoval. 

Disney Halloween. Last years girls Halloween was a force to be reckoned with. Getting ready all together, sipping Ciroc and taking a cab because we're responsible drunks. Party jumping because that's how we do. How in the hell we ended up in Ariel's car, I have the faintest clue. The biggest slumber party, although there was hardly any slumbering. Waking up to guitars being played and songs being sung. That's what the good life is made of.  As much as I wanted this years Halloween to be something similar, it just wasn't the same.  Planning for two costumes, I ended up dressing up as an eskimo.  And when I say "eskimo" I mean, a girl that was cold as hell so bundled up in sweaters, jackets, scarves, hats and boots.

Happy Gobble Gobble.  This year, I was blessed enough to have Thanksgiving come to me.  The REAL southern style home cooked meal with a chicken stuffed turkey and all.  It was heart warming to share this holiday with friends that had never celebrated this holiday or ate the comfort food that reminds me so much of home.  I loved hearing what everyone was so thankful for this year and in general.  I am truly thankful that the Holder's let me be apart of a holiday that I thought I was going to miss. Trying to explain what Thanksgiving really was is actually quite funny...in the "it wasn't so funny then" ironic kinda way.  Literally, a day the pilgrims cooked a feast for the American Indians to thank them for the land they were stealing and women they were going to take.  But for me, Thanksgiving, yes...it is a time to be thankful but its a time where family and friends finally slow down and take time to see each other.  Its a time where I get to stuff my face for hours on end with no one judging me.  It is, for me, the time when the holidays start.  And boy do I love me some holidays.

Now I am at the end of November and I am watching the decorations for Christmas go up.  I love this time of year...the warm spices, fireplaces, the corny Christmas songs that I love to sing-a-long with and watching ELF!  I cant help but feel a little melancholy.  Because while I am enjoying myself in this magical city...there really is no place like home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment